When you think God’s thoughts, He keeps you in PERFECT PEACE! You can even conquer fear and anxiety!
Did you know this? You and I can think God’s Thoughts!
Just look at that verse: when your thoughts line up with God’s thoughts; when you have not just memorized His Word but internalized it by allowing God to work it into your heart, God gives you His peace.
Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid.” (John 14:27)
The world may gives you peace–maybe–when your circumstances are flying high. But when you’ve surrendered your life to Jesus, He gives you “peace that surpasses all understanding”.
Here’s an example from the Book of Acts of what a totally trusting and surrendered life looks like:
About midnight Paul and Silas were praying and singing hymns to God, and the prisoners were listening to them” (Acts 16:25) Read the Full Story
After casting a demon out of a woman who was harassing them, Paul and Silas were thrown into prison. They had every reason to believe they would be executed the next day.
So, what were they doing that night. Were they freaking out?
NO WAY! They were singing to the Lord!
They set a powerful example for the other prisoners and the jailer–and for us.
That’s how I want to be able to respond to adversity!! Anyone who has been troubled longs for perfect peace.
And where does peace come from? Paul says in Galatians 5:22 that the fruit of my relationship with God is: “…love, joy, peace,…” there it is! So peace is a fruit of–a result of–closeness with Him.
But again, the offer is conditional. God offers perfect peace to those “whose mind is stayed on [focused on or fixed on] Him.”.
How To Apply The Principle:
Here are several things I’ve found to be very beneficial. I urge you to do the same:
- Choose to keep God near the forefront of your mind throughout each day. To say it another way: “think God’s thoughts”. When you do this, it quickly becomes a habit.
- Choose to begin the practice of praise. Praise God for your life; praise Him for the food in your kitchen; praise Him for your car; praise Him for the money in your bank account; praise him for your health, etc. (That’s just a “starter list”. Add your own praises throughout the day.)
- Choose to make God your top priority. One way I do this is by going to bed early so I can get up early and spend time doing my own Scripture memory. One might say I’m “tithing” my time, giving God the “first fruits” of each day.
- Choose to preach His Word to yourself regularly throughout the day. It’s amazing how, once you’ve done even a small amount of Scripture memory, God will bring to your mind passages He wants you to apply in a particular situation.
- Choose to read through Scripture memory verses out loud. Romans 10:17 says, “faith comes by hearing… the Word of God.”
- Choose to respond to life’s situations with praise to God at all times ( Psalm 34:1) and by applying Bible principles from Scriptures you have “hidden in your heart” ( Psalm 119:11). Again, it amazes me how, when I do that, the “weight” of my problem gets smaller and smaller.
- Choose to trust God by going to the Truth of Scripture every time you hear a “what if” question or a lie from Satan. God does not deal in “what-if’s” in our lives. He knows exactly what’s going to happen. Therefore…
- Choose to believe that God is trustworthy, that He is good, and that He can handle whatever comes up. Personally, I’ve found that trusting in myself has not given me much peace.
- What to do: memorize Isaiah 26:3, John 14:27, Psalm 119:11, and Psalm 34:4. I’ve made it super-easy for you. Click Here to open a PDF file in a separate window containing a printable page with these 4 verses on it.
Every verse in the Bible began in eternity past as a thought in the Mind of God. So, when you put His thoughts into your mind, you literally think God’s thoughts! Then, when the devil tries to push his lies into your mind, the superior power of God’s thoughts helps you to sweep away those wicked lies!
When you fill your mind with Bible verses; when you think God’s thoughts; the devil cannot get a word in edgewise!
I don’t know what the future holds…
But I know Who holds the future!